Madison Veterinary Specialists is a large, state of the art 24-hour Specialty and Emergency Small Animal Hospital located in Madison, WI just minutes from downtown or the quiet rural setting! Our hospital is proud to be an accredited member of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and the only privately veterinary owned Specialty & Emergency hospital in the state. We are dedicated to our clients and community, the veterinary profession and our team. We currently have a full-time opening for an Environmental Services Technician.
The primary responsibility of the Environmental Services Technician is to provide support and assistance to the veterinary medical staff through cleaning, maintenance and monitoring of the facility and its equipment. The Environmental Services Technician will work closely with the operations manager to oversee and schedule hospital walk through, preventative maintenance, new project work and facility day to day cleaning. The Environmental Services Technician must embody the culture of treating every colleague with the utmost courteous and attentive treatment possible, with a keen sensitivity to the hospital environment.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment for patients, clients, and staff, including performing minor repairs and reporting concerns to the operations manager
- Perform general housekeeping and custodial responsibilities such as vacuuming and mopping floors, laundry, washing dishes, taking trash to dumpster, breaking down boxes and any additional cleaning duties needed to ensure the cleanliness of the hospital (including clinical and non-clinical areas)
- Aid in the prevention of disease by sanitizing patient and public areas
- Assist clinical & administrative staff for non-routine cleaning
- Follow hospital procedures to dispose of contaminated items
- Monitor all external areas for cleanliness and ensure uphold the image of MVS including lawn care, snow, dumpster appearance, etc.) and communicate with operations manager or vendors as needed
- Serve as a support for and additional operational needs
- Daily walk through of interior / exterior facilities to ensure presentation of all areas of MVS meet standards
- Essential job functions include walking, standing, bending, lifting up to 50 pounds, writing, hearing, seeing, speaking, and sitting
- Complete monthly hospital walks through to ensure vendor compliance (interior / exterior), and report to operations manager as needed to coordinate
- High school diploma or equivalent required; candidates from vocational co-op programs also considered.
- Must demonstrate self-initiative and able to work independently with self-discipline in situations with minimal direct supervision
- Knowledge and practical application of basic arithmetic, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division is required
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft programs (word, excel) and ability to learn new software
- Basic mechanical skills, but no knowledge of medical equipment required
- Must be detailed oriented and organized
- Upon successful completion of orientation, this position will be able to participate in flexible scheduling across 1st, 2nd, 3rd Hours may vary on the operational needs of the hospital.
We are seeking individuals who have strong emotional intelligence; those that are self-aware, have a positive attitude, authenticity and caring toward others.
Benefits of working with MVS:
- Highly competitive and comparable wages based on experience and skill set
- Flexible Work Schedule after successful completion of 90 days
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth and development, and continuing education
- 50% Employee Pet discount
- Free parking
- Full-time employee benefits include health, dental, vision, disability and life insurances, flex-spending accounts, Safe Harbor 401(k), Employee Assistance Program, generous paid time off, student loan contribution program, and MVS uniforms
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Amount of Time Spent on Task
|Task||None||Less than 1/3||1/3 to 2/3||More than 2/3|
|Use hands to finger, handle, or feel||X|
|Climb or balance||X|
|Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl||X|
|Verbal and written communication||X|
|Taste or smell||X|
- The position requires the following lifting requirements and/or exerted force be performed on the job.
Amount of Time Spent on Lifting Amount
|Lifting Amount||None||Less than 1/3||1/3 to 2/3||More than 2/3|
|Up to 10 pounds||X|
|Up to 25 pounds||X|
|Up to 50 pounds||X|
|Up to 100 pounds||X|
|More than 100 pounds||X|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust to focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. As a hospital, there will be exposure to a variety of chemicals and cleaners. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud. Pet dander and exposure to a wide variety of animals is to be expected.
To learn more about our hospital visit mvsvets.com or like us on Facebook.
Equal Opportunity Employer & Drug Free Workplace.Apply Now